Some Things to Think About Before the Process Begins.
These are elements for consideration to help prepare you before your appointment with your designer. Please feel free to provide your Pinterest or Houzz username so your designer may access photos of your dream kitchen, master bath, etc. Creating a Pinterest or Houzz account is a great way to collect ideas and share them with others. You may also want to bring fabric swatches or pictures of existing furnishings and colors to help your designer get a picture of your style.
- What colors are you drawn to for walls, ceilings and trim? Warm or cool colors?
- What type of flooring are you interested in? Wood, tile, carpeting? In which rooms?
- What are you considering for your kitchen, bath and laundry cabinets? Painted, stained, wood type, glaze?
- Would you like cabinet enhancements such as glass doors, pot and pan drawers, wine rack? Decorative range hood, soft close doors and drawers? Roll-out shelves, handles, pulls?
- Do you want a center island? If so, is it finished the same as the kitchen cabinets? Is there a special function you would like to see? How many bar stools? Do you want the same height bar as the island counter or do you want a raised bar?
- Are you considering built-in cabinetry in any other room? The mudroom? Laundry room? Family/great room? Study? What finishes and how do you see them functioning?
- Countertops: Granite, quartz, marble, polystone or cultured marble? Any exterior countertops for outdoor grilling areas? (Choices could include brick, stone, granite or concrete.)
- Don’t forget the backsplash. Any thoughts or pictures of how you would like it to look would be helpful.
- Baths and Plumbing Fixtures: Are you more traditional or contemporary? Chrome, brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze? Do you want a soaking tub in your master bath or would you prefer an oversized shower? Have you thought about a curbless shower?
- Do you want your lighting fixtures to be brushed nickel, oil rubbed bronze, black, high gloss chrome or wall sconces? Also, consider specialties such as track lighting, exterior lighting, how many ceiling fans you may want and their locations.
- Do you want exterior and interior fireplaces? What mantle style? Would you prefer a stone, tile, marble, quartz or marble finish? Something else, perhaps?
- Do you have an exterior color palate in mind? What are your choices for the exterior finishes? Brick? Stone accents? Lap siding?
Hopefully these questions will assist you in preparation for your design meeting. We encourage you to communicate your thoughts to your designer prior to your appointment.